Pediatric Heart Care
The Pediatric & Congenital Heart Center is a partnership of University Health System and UT Kids. We’re located inside University Hospital, ranked best hospital in the San Antonio metro area and # 6 in Texas by U.S. News and World Report.
A heart problem in a child is a scary thing. That’s why our team is dedicated to serving families affected by heart disease in every way possible. Our pediatric cardiologists, cardiothoracic surgeons, anesthesiologists, cardiac nurses and other healthcare professionals work together to make sure your child gets the best, most advanced treatment, in a caring, family-focused environment.
Why Choose the South Texas Pediatric & Congenital Heart Center?
At our Pediatric & Congenital Heart Center, you can be confident that your child is cared for by a team that’s recognized for outstanding patient outcomes, in a facility that offers the highest level of care, comfort and compassion.
- The Pediatric & Congenital Cardiac Care Unit (PCCU) is the only dedicated comprehensive inpatient and outpatient pediatric cardiac center in South Texas.
- Our South Texas Pediatric & Congenital Heart Center is one of just 19 programs in the nation designated as a Center of Excellence by Optum, Aetna and Superior Health Plan Insurance Entities, and one of only three in Texas.
- We’re the only program in the region with two pediatric cardiothoraic surgeons who are board certified in both adult and pediatric cardiothoracic surgery.
- We offer specialized teams of pediatric heart specialists, cardiac nurses and respiratory therapists, as well as neonatal pediatric transport teams.
- We’ve partnered with Doctors Hospital at Renaissance to provide pediatric heart care to more children throughout the Rio Grande Valley region.
- Our patient outcomes are among the best in the nation.
- We’re the only program in the region who publicly reports its outcomes data through the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Database.
- Your child may be eligible for treatment not available elsewhere as part of one of our clinical trials.
We care for newborns to young adults with a wide variety of heart problems. Some of the many pediatric heart conditions we treat include:
We’ve invested in the technologies and expertise necessary to test and diagnose your child’s heart problem quickly and accurately.
Our team of pediatric cardiologists, pediatric heart surgeons and other experts will work closely with you to find the right treatment for your child. Depending on your child’s heart problem, we offer both traditional heart surgery and minimally invasive treatments.
Our Pediatric & Congenital Heart Center Team will care for your child and your family as we would our own.