Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
Pediatric Inpatient Services: We provide children a caring and comfortable environment when overnight and extended stays at University Hospital are required. Our Pediatric ICU at University Hospital, provides critically-ill and injured children a low nurse-to-patient ratio and a staff of faculty pediatricians with extensive experience handling even the most complex cases. The Pediatric Intensive Care Unit at University Hospital provides a wide range of pediatric specialty and surgical services. Pediatric Centers of Excellence include:
- Expert care for seriously injured children through our Level I Trauma Center
- Our full-service Burn Center for children ages 0 to 18
Burn Center Services include:
- Acute care, outpatient treatment, scar management and reconstruction by experts in the field.
- We use and have developed many of the most current treatments to maximize outcomes including artificial skins, modern wound care, pain management, and psychosocial support.
- Our treatment team has vast experience in all aspects of pediatric burn care, and seeks to care for as many children as possible close to their homes.
- The founders of the Endoscopic Craniectomy, a less invasive technique to treat infants with Craniosynostosis.
Newborn Nursery and Neonatal Intensive Care: University Hospital’s three nurseries—Newborn, NICU Level II and NICU Level III—foster a safe and nurturing atmosphere for our newborns and provide families with many levels of support and care. UT Health San Antonio board-certified neonatologists and our highly specialized nurses and respiratory therapists ensure that every baby receives individualized attention and access to the most advanced care and technology available.
Trauma: University Hospital is South Texas’ only Level I Pediatric Trauma Center. When a child is seriously injured or burned, the highest level of care is available immediately. This level of expertise – and the presence of UT Health San Antonio trauma surgeons around the clock – are what sets a verified trauma center apart from other hospitals.